Robert Neal Adams Papers
Scope and Contents
Seven archival folders containing photographs, 1 videotape, and 5 cassette tapes. The photo collection consists of 33 black-and-white photographs taken during the 1930s and early 1940s. Included are photos of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Eleanor Roosevelt, Herbert Hoover, Winston Churchill, King George and Queen Mary of England, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Will Rogers, Rudy Vallee, and Howard Hughes. In the taped interview Mr. Adams gives some insights into the Roosevelt administration. In addition, there are photos of Adams, some biographical material, and film negatives with explanatory notes. A typescript of an article by Dr. Pat Ryan (UNCG), who arranged for the gift of the collection to the UNCG Manuscript Collections, gives good background material.
- 1933 - 1975
- Adams, Robert Neal (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the creators of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information. Please see our Sensitive Materials Statement.
Biographical or Historical Information
Robert Neal Adams was a news photographer in Washington, DC, during the 1930s and 1940s. He spent most of his years there as a photographer for Underwood and Underwood, then the leading picture syndicate. Adams also worked for the Washington Post, and later taught at the New York Institute of Photography.
0.50 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Robert Neal Adams was a news photographer in Washington, DC, during the 1930s and 1940s.
This collection contains mainly black and white photographs of such notable personages as the Roosevelts, Herbert Hoover, and Winston Churchill.
Method of Acquisition
Gift of Robert Neal Adams in 1950.
Offensive Language Statement
The UNC Greensboro University Libraries collects, preserves, and makes accessible unique and historical materials for learning and research. The nature of historical materials is such that some material may represent positions, norms, and values that are offensive and objectionable. These materials represent the opinions and actions of their creators. By providing access to these records in our reading room and through our digital collections, we recognize that archives and rare books can play a vital role in holding those creators accountable and in helping us learn from the past.
Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at email@example.com if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.
Processed by Archives Staff, January 2000. Encoded by Michelle Belden, March 2009.
- Adams, Robert Neal
- Adams, Robert Neal -- Interviews
- Adams, Robert Neal -- Photographs
- Churchill, Winston, 1871-1947
- Churchill, Winston, 1871-1947 -- Photographs
- George VI, King of Great Britain, 1895-1952
- George VI, King of Great Britain, 1895-1952 -- Photographs
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964 -- Photographs
- Hughes, Howard, 1905-1976
- Hughes, Howard, 1905-1976 -- Photographs
- Photojournalists -- United States -- Archives
- Rogers, Will, 1879-1935
- Rogers, Will, 1879-1935 -- Photographs
- Roosevelt, Eleanor
- Roosevelt, Eleanor, 1884-1962 -- Photographs
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 -- Photographs
- Vallée, Rudy, 1901-1986
- Vallée, Rudy, 1901-1986 -- Photographs
- Windsor, Edward, Duke of, 1894-1972
- Windsor, Edward, Duke of, 1894-1972 -- Photographs
- Windsor, Wallis Warfield, Duchess of, 1896-1986
- Windsor, Wallis Warfield, Duchess of, 1896-1986 -- Photographs
- Robert Neal Adams Papers
- Michelle Belden
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note