Office of the Director of Athletics Records
Scope and Contents
These records contain material related to annual reports, committees, correspondence, Dixie Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, financial information, history of athletics at UNCG, memorandums, planning, policies, and press releases. In addition there are handbooks from Athletic Association of North Carolina College, a DVD on the history of the athletic program, and various newsletters. There is also a considerable amount of material related to National Collegiate Athletic Association self-study reports conducted by the University.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1968-2011
- Office of the Director of Athletics (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical or Historical Information
During the 1970s and 1980s, the athletic teams at UNCG flourished. The men's soccer team won five national championships (1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, and 1987) and in 1983, the women's basketball team was national runner-up champions. It was also during this time that other sports programs were added, including softball and volleyball.
In 1987, the University's Board of Trustees approved the elevation of the athletics program to scholarship status, with all teams being affiliated with Division II in 1988-1989 and then all teams being affiliated with Division I in 1991-1992. In 1991, the University official achieve Division I status and in 1992 joined the Big South Conference. Since joining Division I competition, UNCG has expanded to sixteen teams including baseball (1991), men's (1991) and women's (1992) cross country, and wrestling (1993).
In 2009, after twenty-six years as the only athletic director at UNCG, Bobb resigned and was replaced by Kim Record. In 2011, Record announced the dissolving of the wrestling program at UNCG due to budget cuts.
2.60 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection consists of annual reports, correspondence, a DVD, handbooks, memorandums, and reports related to athletic history, committees, self-studies, and other topics which document the activities and duties of the office from 1925-2018.
Method of Acquisition
Offensive Language Statement
Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at email@example.com if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro -- Accreditation
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro -- Sports
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro -- Sports -- Periodicals
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Dept. of Athletics
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Intercollegiate Athletics Dept.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Intercollegiate Athletics Dept. Office of the Director
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Spartan Club
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Spartan Excellence Fund
- Office of the Director of Athletics Records
- Sean A. Mulligan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note