Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Bessie L. Herbert served in the Women's Army Corps (WAC) during World War II.
Photograph album contains pictures of Bessie L. Herbert and friends in various poses during her service in the WAC in World War II. Photos were taken at Camp Grant, Illinois; Fort Sheridan, Illinois; on leave in Brookfield, Massachusetts; Springfield, Massachusetts; and downtown Des Moines, Iowa. Includes some photos of Herbert's family and many of her WAC colleagues.
Irma Jackson Cayton Wertz (1911-2007) of Detroit, Michigan, served as an officer in African American units of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) and later the Women's Army Corps (WAC) from 1942-1945.
The collection is made up of nine photographs and one letter from Wertz to her mother.
- Women in war 2
- World War, 1939-1945 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States 2
- African American soldiers 1
- African American women 1
- North Carolina College for Women -- Alumni and alumnae 1
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps -- Military life 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women 1 ∧ less
- United States. Army. Women's Army Auxilliary Corps 2
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps 2
- Boyce, Westray Battle 1
- Herbert, Bessie L. 1
- Irma Jackson Cayton Wertz 1