Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Nancy E. Carter of Charlottesville, Virginia, served as a sergeant in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) and the Women's Army Corps (WAC) during World War II and remained in the army at least until the 1960s.
Correspondence written chiefly by Nancy E. Carter and various members of the Carter family document Carter's military service and the lives of her family members in California and Ohio from the 1940s to the 1960s.
Mary Emily Lapham (1860-1936) was a doctor known for her research with tuberculosis patients. During WWI, she traveled to Europe on a Red Cross Medical Mission.
The collection consists primarily of letters written by Mary Lapham during her time with the Red Cross. Also included are photographs, newspapers clippings, and miscellaneous materials relating to Dr. Lapham's time in Europe.
Lola H. Ryan of McGraw, New York, worked as an operating room nurse in the Army Nurse Corps during World War II.\n The collection contains approximately 120 letters and v-mail written by Lola Ryan to her parents and brother. Ryan discusses her experiences of being a nurse in basic training, the conditions in wartime France, German prisoners of war, her experiences as a wartime nurse, and her longing to return home and be discharged from the army.
- France -- Description and travel 3
- United States. Army--Women 3
- World War, 1939-1945 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, Female 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States 3
- American Red Cross 1
- Czechoslovakia -- Description and travel 1
- Iowa -- Description and travel 1
- Military nursing -- United States 1
- Paris (France) -- Description and travel 1
- Sectionalism (United States) 1
- Southern States 1
- United States. Army -- Military life 1
- United States. Army Nurse Corps -- Military life 1
- United States. Army. Women's Army Auxilliary Corps -- Recruiting, enlistment, etc. 1
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps -- History 1
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps -- Recruiting, enlistment, etc. 1
- Virginia -- Description and travel 1
- Women soldiers -- Minnesota -- Correspondence 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Participation, Female 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Women -- United States 1 ∧ less
- American Red Cross 1
- Carter family. 1
- Carter, Nancy E. 1
- Carter, Peggy 1
- Lapham, Dr. Mary Emily 1