Richard Current Papers
Scope and Contents
- 1930 - 2003
- Current, Richard Nelson (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical or Historical Information
Current was born to Park Curry Current and Anna (Christiansen) Current in Colorado Springs, Colorado on October 5, 1912. On December 20, 1937, he married Rose M. Bonar and together they had two children. Their daughter, Annabelle was born in 1943 and their son, Dana, was born in 1946.
Current received his B.A. from Oberlin College in 1934, holds a M.A. from Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, a Ph. D. from the University of Wisconsin, and an honorary M.A. degree from Oxford University. Standing among his many awards and achievements, Richard Current was honored with the Oliver Max Gardner Award in 1960 for outstanding academic and public service.
In addition to his scholarly occupations, Richard Current was highly involved with several noteworthy organizations. These include, but are not limited to, The Abraham Lincoln Association, the Civil War Round Table, the Conference on European Problems, the Historical Society of North Carolina, the Mississippi Valley Historical Association, and the Southern Historical Association.
Current passed away in 2012.
29.80 Linear Feet (72 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Richard Current Papers date from 1930 to 2003 and consist largely of his correspondence as well as manuscripts of his writings. The collection includes materials pertaining to his career as an author, professor, and historian.
Method of Acquisition
Offensive Language Statement
Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at email@example.com if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.
- Current, Richard Nelson
- Historians -- North Carolina
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Historiography
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro -- Faculty -- History -- 20th century
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Dept. of History
- Richard Current Papers
- Andrea Cole
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- April 20, 2021: This finding aid underwent changes in Spring 2021 after a reparative archives review. The following link leads to the legacy version of this finding aid: http://library.uncg.edu/info/depts/scua/legacyFA/04.MSS053.legacy.pdf