Florence Louise Schaeffer Papers
Scope and Contents
- 1906 - 1973
- Schaeffer, Florence Louise (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information. Please see our Sensitive Materials Statement.
Biographical or Historical Information
Schaeffer received an A.B. in Mathematics from Barnard College in 1920. She attended Mt. Holyoke College for graduate study and while there worked as an assistant in chemistry, receiving her M.A. in 1922. That same year Schaeffer was hired as an instructor in the Chemistry Department at the North Carolina College for Women (now UNCG). She became Head of the Chemistry Department in 1934, leading the department for the next thirty years.
In her time at UNCG, Schaeffer was instrumental in establishing a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa Scholarship Society at the college. From 1964 until her retirement in 1972, Schaeffer continued to work part-time teaching in the Chemistry Department. She died in 1983.
3.20 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Offensive Language Statement
Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.
- Chemistry -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- North Carolina -- Greensboro
- North Carolina College for Women -- Faculty
- North Carolina College for Women. Department of Chemistry
- Phi Beta Kappa. Epsilon Chapter of North Carolina (Greensboro, N.C.)
- Schaeffer, Florence Louise
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro -- Faculty
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Department of Chemistry
- Woman's College of the University of North Carolina -- Faculty
- Woman's College of the University of North Carolina. Department of Chemistry
- Women deans (Education)
- Florence Louise Schaeffer Papers
- Processed by: Archives Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note