Skip to main content

Curry School Records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 006.4

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the official records that reflect the history and activities of the Curry School in the School of Education from 1898-2004. These records contain materials related to alumni, classes, commencement, history of the school, and students. The files primarily include alumni lists, directories, newsletters, pamplets, programs, transcripts, and yearbooks.

Dates

  • 1898-2004
  • Majority of material found within 1928 - 1970

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research; however, due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, proper identification is require for access to and copies of transcripts.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright is retained by the creators of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information. Please see our Sensitive Materials Statement.

Biographical or Historical Information

A demonstration and practice school was first established on the campus of the State and Normal Industrial School, now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, in 1893. The practice school provided practical classroom experience for students who wished to graduate as teachers form the Normal School. Through cooperative efforts with the Greensboro Public School system, by 1896 attendance at the practice school had greatly increased.

In December of 1894, the Board of Directors of the Normal School first authorized the construction of a building for the practice school. In 1902, the school moved to the new building on College Avenue. It was named in honor of Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry, an advocate for the establishment of the State Normal and Industrial School in the early 1890s. The practice school remained in the Curry Building on College Avenue until it was destroyed by fire in 1926. It was replaced the same year by another building, also named for Curry, located on Spring Garden Road.

For many years the Curry School consisted of Kindergarten through twelfth grade. The school was phased out gradually; the junior high school in 1968, then the senior high school in 1969, and finally the elementary school in 1970.

Extent

4.59 Linear Feet (13 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The practice school, also known as the teacher training school, was established at State Normal and Industrial School, now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, in 1892. In 1902, it became the Curry School, providing practical classroom instruction for undergraduate and graduate students until 1970 when the school was closed.

The records of the Curry School contain alumni lists, directories, newsletters, pamplets, programs, transcripts, yearbooks, and other records which document the activities of the School from 1898-2004.

Arrangement Note

The arrangement scheme for this collection was imposed during processing in the absence of a useable original order. This collection is arranged into four series with Series 1 arranged in alphabetical order while Series 2, 3 and 4 are arranged in chronological order. Series 1: General Files, 1898-2004 Series 2: Transcripts, 1926-1970 Series 3: Newsletters, 1937-1968 Series 4: Yearbooks, 1917-1969

Method of Acquisition

Transferred from the Curry School in March 1986 and June 1988.

Offensive Language Statement

The UNC Greensboro University Libraries collects, preserves, and makes accessible unique and historical materials for learning and research. The nature of historical materials is such that some material may represent positions, norms, and values that are offensive and objectionable. These materials represent the opinions and actions of their creators. By providing access to these records in our reading room and through our digital collections, we recognize that archives and rare books can play a vital role in holding those creators accountable and in helping us learn from the past.

Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at scua@uncg.edu if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.

Processing Information

Processed and encoded by Sean A. Mulligan, December 2010.

Creator

Title
Curry School Records
Author
Sean A. Mulligan
Date
2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
P.O. Box 26170
320 College Ave.
Greensboro NC 27402-6170 US
336-334-5246