Skip to main content

Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 004.7

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the official records that reflect the history and activities of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry in the College of Arts and Sciences from 1966-2004. These records contain materials related to course proposals, class information, faculty affairs, history of the department, student organizations, and an archive of the department's website. The files include annual reports, brochures, manuals, newsletters, and reports.

Dates

  • 1966 - 2021

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright is retained by the creators of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information. Please see our Sensitive Materials Statement.

Biographical or Historical Information

The Department of Chemistry began in at the turn of the 20th century. It was headed by Mary M. Petty who would remain with the Department until her retirement in 1934. She was joined in 1922 by Florence Schaefer who eventually replaced Petty as head and would serve until 1964.

In 1940, the Department of Chemistry moved from the McIver Memorial Building into a new Science Building that would eventually be renamed the Petty Science Building in honor of Mary Petty. At the time, however, chemistry was not a heavily elected degree since most women had few career opportunities in science. However, with the retirement of Schaefer, the Department began to take on a new direction with the hiring Walter Puterbaugh and ten other male faculty members. The Department began offering a Master's degree in 1967 and in 1968 was accredited by the American Chemical Society. Later, there was a push in the 1970s for a PhD degree but it never came to fruition. Sadly in 1981, Puterbaugh committed suicide. Harvey Herman filled the position as head of the Department until 1990 when he was seceded by Michael Farona.

The Department was renamed in 1999 the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. In 2003, the Department moved into a new science building, later named the Sullivan Science Building in honor of retiring Chancellor Patricia Sullivan. Currently, the Department offers a PhD in Medicinal Biochemistry and the Master of Science degree in Chemistry and the Master of Science degree in Biochemistry.

Extent

0.84 Linear Feet (2 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Department of Chemistry began in the early 1900s and changed its name in 1999 to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Today the Department is responsible for the undergraduate and graduate curriculum in chemistry and biochemistry.

The records of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry contain announcements, annual reports, brochures, manuals, newsletters, and reports which document the activities of the Department from 1966-2004.

Arrangement Note

The arrangement scheme for this collection was imposed during processing in the absence of a useable original order. This collection is arranged into two series with Series 1 arranged in alphabetical order while Series 2 is in chronological order. Series 1: General Files, 1966-2015 Series 2: Annual Reports, 1970-1996

Method of Acquisition

Periodically transferred from the Department Chemistry and Biochemistry.

Offensive Language Statement

The UNC Greensboro University Libraries collects, preserves, and makes accessible unique and historical materials for learning and research. The nature of historical materials is such that some material may represent positions, norms, and values that are offensive and objectionable. These materials represent the opinions and actions of their creators. By providing access to these records in our reading room and through our digital collections, we recognize that archives and rare books can play a vital role in holding those creators accountable and in helping us learn from the past.

Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at scua@uncg.edu if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.

Processing Information

Sean A. Mulligan, January, 2011
Title
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Records
Author
Sean A. Mulligan
Date
2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
P.O. Box 26170
320 College Ave.
Greensboro NC 27402-6170 US
336-334-5246