Department of Library and Information Studies Records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the official records that reflect the functions and activities of the Department of Library and Information Studies of the School of Education from 1931 to 2015. These records contain correspondence, memorandums, brochures, minutes, annual reports, course proposals, surveys, reports, self studies, cassettes, VHS tapes, and an archive of the department's website.
- 1931 - 2021
- Department of Library and Information Studies (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the creators of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information. Please see our Sensitive Materials Statement.
Biographical or Historical Information
Charles Stone was appointed the school's librarian in 1927 and helped to establish the first Woman's College librarian education program in 1928. The American Library Association granted Type II (senior undergraduate) accreditation to the program making it the first accredited library education program in North Carolina and only the second one in the South. The program offered an undergraduate major or minor with the goal of training school librarians and in 1930 graduated its first class. However, in 1931 during the Great Depression, the state closed the Woman's College program and moved all library education to Chapel Hill.
In 1962, the Department of Library Science and Information Studies returned to UNCG under the title Department of Library Science and Education Technology. At that time a new graduate level library education program to train school media specialists was established. A master's program was approved in 1965 but did not award its first Master of Library Science degree until 1978. The graduate program was accredited by the American Library Association in 1982 and was most recently reaccredited in 2005. In 1989, the program changed its name to the Department of Library and Information Studies.
Mary Frances Kennon Johnson served as Department Chair from 1969-1979 and was instrumental in integrating microcomputers into the program's curriculum. She was replaced by Dr. Kieth Wright who served as Chair until 1986. He helped to lead the department towards ALA accreditation in 1982. Marilyn Miller succeeded him and served until 1995. Under her leadership, the department established a distance education program which was the first in the state to offer an entire Master's via a remote satellite campus. Miller also served as president of the American Library Association during 1992-1993.
Following Marilyn Miller's retirement in 1995, Marilyn Shontz served a one-year term as Interim Chair of the Department. Dr. Kieth Wright returned for a three-year term as Department Chair from 1997-2000. During this time a search was opened for a new chair and Dr. Lee Shiflett was appointed Chair of the Department in 2001, serving as Chair until 2009. Dr. Clara Chu was appointed Chair of the Department in 2009.
8.75 Linear Feet (21 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Department of Library and Information Studies of the School of Education was founded in 1928. It is responsible for the University's graduate curricula in library and information studies.
The records of the Department of Library and Information Studies contain correspondence, memorandums, brochures, minutes, annual reports, course proposals, surveys, reports, self studies, cassettes, VHS tapes, and an archive of the department's website which document the activities of the Department from 1931-2015.
The arrangement scheme for this collection was imposed during processing in the absence of a useable original order. This collection is arranged into five series with Series I, II, and IV arranged alphabetically and Series III arranged chronologically. Within each folder, documents are arranged in chronological order. Series 1: General Files, 1931-2015 Series 2: American Library Association, 1971-1999 Series 3: Faculty Meetings, 1976-2002 Series 4: Committees, 1974-2001 Series 5: Multimedia, 1974-1995
Method of Acquisition
Transferred periodically from the Department of Library and Information Studies.
Offensive Language Statement
The UNC Greensboro University Libraries collects, preserves, and makes accessible unique and historical materials for learning and research. The nature of historical materials is such that some material may represent positions, norms, and values that are offensive and objectionable. These materials represent the opinions and actions of their creators. By providing access to these records in our reading room and through our digital collections, we recognize that archives and rare books can play a vital role in holding those creators accountable and in helping us learn from the past.
Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at email@example.com if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.
Processed by Mendy Ozan, October, 2010 Encoded by Sean Mulligan, October, 2010
- Department of Library and Information Studies Records
- Mendy Ozan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note