Department of History Records
Scope and Contents
- 1920 - 2021
- Majority of material found within 1970 - 2015
- History, Department of (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information. Please see our Sensitive Materials Statement.
Biographical or Historical Information
In 1955, the History Department hired Richard N. Current, as head of the department. In 1963, the department established a master's degree program. In 1969, it was recomended by a committee that the History Department offer a course in American American history to be tought by Richard Bardolph, who was white. The Neo-Black Society, who had launched the campagin for a new course, demanded that the instructor be black. As a result, in 1970 Frank White, a black professor with AT and T campus, traded courses with Bardolph and taught the course. In 1971, UNCG hired Loren Schweninger, who was white, to teach survey and upper level courses in African American history.
Currently in 2010, the Department of History does offer a Ph.D. degree in History.
1.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The records of the History Department include reports, letters, books, newsletters, and an archive of the department's website documenting the activity of the History Department from 1920-2015.
Method of Acquisition
Offensive Language Statement
Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.
- History -- Study and teaching (Graduate) -- North Carolina -- Greensboro
- History -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- North Carolina -- Greensboro
- North Carolina College for Women. Dept. of History and Political Science
- Social sciences -- Study and teaching (Graduate) -- North Carolina -- Greensboro
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Dept. of History
- Woman's College of the University of North Carolina. Dept. of History and Political Science
- Department of History Records
- Sean A. Mulligan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note