Women's and Gender Studies Program Records
Scope and Contents
- 1972 - 2021
- Women's and Gender Studies Program (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical or Historical Information
In 1972, Vice-Chancellor Jones recommended that a faculty-student committee be created to examine women's studies in a larger academic context, define objectives of a women's studies program, and to make recommendations on what type of form a program might take at UNCG.
In response, Chancellor James S. Ferguson appointed five faculty members and four students to take on the task. The committee's findings would eventually lead to the establishment of a Women's Studies Program.
The Women's Studies Program began to offer classes in 1974; it was to be an interdisciplinary program.
A year later, in 1975, the Women's and Gender Program began offering a minor concentration.
It was not until 1994, that the Women's Studies Program began graduating students with a major concentration.
In the Spring of 2003, the Program changed its name from Women's Studies to Women's and Gender Studies to reflect a growing trend in women's studies programs across the country. The new name also more accurately represented the Programs growing scope of focus and study.
3.60 Linear Feet (11 boxes)
Language of Materials
The records of the Women's and Gender Studies Program include annual reports, memoranda, letters, email correspondence, committee meeting minutes, newsletters, and resolutions documenting the activities of the program from 1972-2009.
Method of Acquisition
Offensive Language Statement
Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at email@example.com if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.
- Sex role -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- North Carolina -- Greensboro
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Office of Women's Programs
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Women's Studies Program
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Women's and Gender Studies
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Women's and Gender Studies Program
- Women -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- North Carolina -- Greensboro
- Women's studies -- North Carolina -- Greensboro
- Women's and Gender Studies Program Records
- Paris E. McCollough
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note