National Council of Jewish Women, Greensboro Section Records
Scope and Contents
- 1920 - 1979
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical or Historical Information
In 1918, Mrs. William Loeb, a representative of the National Council, came to Greensboro to discuss the organization of a local section. The first Council meeting took place in 1919 in the basement of the Carnegie Library with Mrs. C.L. Weill as president and Mrs. Sidney Stern as secretary and treasurer. The two main projects, nationally as well as locally, were aid to Immigrants at Ellis Island, New York, and aid to nonprofit organizations, such as sewing and mending for the Children's Home of North Carolina.
The Greensboro Section was one organization with the Sisterhood of Temple Emmanuel until October of 1945 when the groups decided to separate. Before the two organizations diverged, they produced and assisted such causes as: providing and servicing baby cribs for Traveler's Aid at the Railroad station; a story hour for the orthopedic ward at St. Leo's Hospitals; summer soup canning for public schools; money for the Near East Relief Fund; and an automobile for the first city Health Department Nurse.
In the 1940s and 1950s, the National Council of Jewish Women worked with many civic organizations, such as: the Civilian Defense Volunteer Organization; the Sixty Plus Club; the Mental Health Clinic; Release Time for Teachers; Medical Loan Closet; and the Overseas Scholarship program.
During the 1960s, the National Council established the Council House Day Care Center and Women in Community Action (WICS), which extended into the Greensboro Section. In the 1970s, Meals on Wheels was created and the concern of child abuse became a topic of discussion. Local fund raisers took the form of the creation of a cookbook and the maintenance of a country store.
Throughout their history the NCJW has been concerned for the development of Israel. The Council has an overseas program which grants Fellowships for graduate studies in the United States for Israeli teachers. Financial support is also given to the Hebrew University. The Council believes in the action of peace and therefore has an accredited observer at the United Nations. It has been a member of the Council of Social Agencies since the Agencies formation in 1923.
The objective of the NCJW is to involve itself as a voluntary group in creating a more responsive and conscious community. The members of the Council are drawn from within the Jewish community and are of all ages and interests. The Council believes that regardless of the professional pursuits of a woman, she can and will be involved in volunteer activities.
5.83 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Offensive Language Statement
Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.
- National Council of Jewish Women, Greensboro Section Records
- Jennifer Motszko; machine-readable finding aid created by: Jennifer Motszko
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- April 20, 2021: This finding aid underwent changes in Spring 2021 after a reparative archives review. The following link leads to the legacy version of this finding aid: http://library.uncg.edu/info/depts/scua/legacyFA/04.MSS092.legacy.pdf