Skip to main content

Department of Biology Records

 Collection
Identifier: UA 004.5

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the official records that reflect the functions and activities of the Department of Biology in the College of Arts and Science from 1932 to 2005. These records contain correspondence, memorandums, laboratory manuals, newsletters, proposals, annual reports, and an archive of the department's website.

Dates

  • 1932 - 2021

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright is retained by the creators of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information. Please see our Sensitive Materials Statement.

Biographical or Historical Information

The Department of Biology in the College of Arts and Science was initially founded as part of the Department of Science in 1892. It became its own Department of Biology in 1905 with Dr. Eugene W. Gudger serving as its first department head. John Paul Givler arrived at UNCG in 1920 and replaced Gudger as head of the Department of Biology. During his tenure, biology grew to become the largest science department on campus. In 1940, the Department of Biology moved to a new science building and out of its old location in the McIver Building. John Givler retired in 1949 and was replaced by Miss Helen Ingraham as the acting head of the Department of Biology.

In 1952, she was succeeded by Dr. Victor Cutter Jr. who served as head of the department until 1962, when he passed away from cancer. By that time, the department of Biology had grown to twelve members, nine of who had doctorate degrees. Dr. Edmund Berkeley served as the acting head of the department from 1962-1963.

In 1963, Dr. Bruce M. Eberhart became the head of the Department of Biology. In 1965, a Master's degree in Biology was introduced and in 1973 there was a proposal for a Ph.D. program. Eberhart stepped down as head of the department in 1979 and was replaced by Dr. William K. Bates. Bates served as head of the deparment from 1979-1988. He was succeed by Robert Gatten who continued to served as the deparment head into the late 1990s.

Extent

4.38 Linear Feet (11 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Department of Biology in the College of Arts and Science was initially part of the Department of Science in 1892. It became its own Department of Biology in 1905. It is responsible for the University's undergraduate and graduate curricula in biology.

The records of the Department of Biology contains correspondence, memorandums, laboratory manuals, newsletters, proposals and annual reports which document the activities of the Department from 1932-2005.

Arrangement Note

The arrangement scheme for this collection was imposed during processing in the absence of a useable original order. This collection is arranged into five series. Folders in series I, II, III and IV are organized chronological while series V is arranged in alphabetically order. Series 1: Correspondence, 1987-1997 Series 2: Annual Reports, 1970-1997 Series 3: Newsletters, 1989-2005 Series 4: Laboratory Manuals, 1932-1946 Series 5: General Files, 1963-2015

Method of Acquisition

Transferred annually from the Department of Biology to the University Archives from 1970-1997.

Offensive Language Statement

The UNC Greensboro University Libraries collects, preserves, and makes accessible unique and historical materials for learning and research. The nature of historical materials is such that some material may represent positions, norms, and values that are offensive and objectionable. These materials represent the opinions and actions of their creators. By providing access to these records in our reading room and through our digital collections, we recognize that archives and rare books can play a vital role in holding those creators accountable and in helping us learn from the past.

Our finding aids and other collection descriptions may occasionally re-use language provided by creators or former holders of the materials, but we strive to place outdated or offensive terminology in context. That said, we recognize that we may not always make the right decision and welcome feedback from all sources so we can learn and adjust our practices. Please contact us at scua@uncg.edu if you encounter problematic language in our finding aids or other collection description. We will review the language and, as appropriate, update it in a way that balances preservation of the original context with our ongoing commitment to describing materials with respectful and inclusive language.

Processing Information

Processed by Sean Mulligan, March, 2010 Encoded by Sean Mulligan, March, 2010

Title
Department of Biology Records
Author
Sean Mulligan
Date
2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
P.O. Box 26170
320 College Ave.
Greensboro NC 27402-6170 US
336-334-5246